logo

Maronia





Maronia Coordinates

40.9000° N, 25.5167° E

Maronia Ancient Theater

It was constructed in the Hellenistic period and remodelled in Roman times. In August 2009, the major part of reconstruction works started in 1981 has finished.

The Cyclop's cave

On the southeast of the Prefecture and just 3 km north of the village of Maronia lies the Maronia cave, also known as Cave of the Cyclops, which according to legend was the cave in which Odysseus blinded the Cyclops Polyphemus. It is 350 meters long and 15-20 meters wide. It is closed for the public. Inside the cave, there are stalactites and stalagmites, as well as rare fauna. Today 10 out of the total 300 species of bats in Europe live inside the cave.

Back to top

WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien